Friday, November 27, 2009

YouTube, podcast searches

I can't remember how long I've used and loved YouTube. To use it is to love it. That's where I go to find all of the commercials and cartoons from my childhood. If you miss a great clip from TV, you can find it on YouTube. I especially love checking out music, and you can always find shows posted in installments. (Hulu has definitely improved that type of service.) But sometimes it's also fun to just find the cute, everyday situations that appeal to all. I think libraries could benefit from YouTube by posting videos from the library on their Web sites. They could just give a tour of the library, feature clips from programs, or maybe even have patrons give video book reviews. But this way, community members who aren't really sure if they want to visit their library can see what it has to offer. The clip that I'm posting was a huge YouTube sensation a couple of years ago, but I didn't learn about it until this year. I think is hilarious.



As for the podcast searches, the first one was a broken link. The second one worked, but I wasn't a huge fan of the web site. I didn't like how it was set up, and I felt like the podcasts should have been more easily accessible. On the other hand, I liked that you could browse by popular podcasts, which is a helpful tool. I actually prefer just searching for podcasts via Google searches because they can lead you directly to their sites. I have recently become somewhat obsessed with podcasts. I especially enjoy listening to various NPR programs (Wait, wait, Don't Tell Me, and their Music shows are excellent), BBC News, and the Bugle. And I am used to iTunes, so I'm familiar with how to search it.

No comments:

Post a Comment